Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Two

So I had this friend, Kalyn. Our older brothers were in a band together and were best friends. They shared a passion and talent for music and they really complimented each others' personalities well. Kalyn and I, however, were and still are very much unalike. I'm short, she's tall. She's blonde, I'm brunette. She's good at everything she does, and I always seemed to struggle. She had self-confidence and I just didn't. But the main difference was that she got along with her brother and I did not with mine. So when we were both about 9 or 10 she invited over to spend the night at her house. I was excited, like all little girls are, for a sleepover. We set up a tent in her living room and baked cookies. Afterwards we stayed up late playing video games. Now, I've maybe played five video games in my lifetime and I suck at every single one of them. Well we picked out this motor-cross game that didn't seem too difficult. Once we started playing I didn't seem to be doing too bad. I was ranking up points left and right and actually beating her. She even started asking me for help with some things, so I gave her a few pointers. Kalyn always won, so selfishly I was really proud of the fact that I was winning. It's always an awesome feeling when you surprise yourself and accomplish something you never thought you could. Well, the next morning we started playing the game again and our brothers came out and sat with us while we played and watched. I was excited for the chance to impress my brother and show him how good I was. It seems silly now, but I thought it would change his opinion of me, I guess. I don't know. Well I didn't play very well that morning and Kalyn was racking up all the points instead. I was so confused and embarrassed. Turns out, the night before Kalyn had switched controllers and told me we were different screens. It wasn't me who won the night before, it was her. Our brothers found it hysterical. I did not. I felt like an idiot and I was angry with her for tricking me that way. I really hate dishonest people. That's probably why we're not friends anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment