Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Define: Success

Success is an honor to be earned. I believe success is truly earned when the sum of a person's efforts and circumstance results in a balance between achievement and personal happiness. A person can work diligently toward a lifetime goal or dream. The work and effort are appreciated and may even result in recognition in the form of a career, award, or grand opportunity. Without the right attitude and without self-happiness, though, I couldn't consider said person successful.
Maybe I romanticize the situation too much, but I just know that I don't look at the CEO of a company, a celebrity, a person with a P.H. D or any other stereotypically ideal career and label them a success automatically. I am sure a lot of work had to be done, a lot of sacrifices had to be made, and a lot of obstacles had to be overcome to get them there, but if they're not happy with their position and as a human being, then they're not a true success in my opinion.
For me to consider my life successful in thirty years I will have to have self-happiness despite my given circumstance-- good, bad, or just not what I wanted initially. I know that life isn't going to happen exactly how I plan or hope--it wouldn't be life if it did--but if life did turn out my way, I'd spend it writing however possible. To be a screenwriter, write for a music magazine, work at a publishing company, or teach would all be ideal. I'd love to be involved making the experiences for others like the ones I have and grow from whenever I watch, listen, or read.

No comments:

Post a Comment