Thursday, December 13, 2012

Little is Big.

In the process of trying cleaning up my dorm I came across a photo of Grandpa, the one I posted on his death day. It is such an extremely candid, unplanned, simple, random picture of him. He's not doing  anything of interest really, just sitting and doing the menial things he always did. Looking at it makes me think, though, about how the most menial and insignificant things and memories can be the greatest and most vivid you will ever have, and will be the ones that mean the most to you.

I have specific memories in my head of my Grandpa. Big moments. Moments that stick out. When someone dies there are always those moments you will and can never forget. But what hurts is not remembering those things, but what you can't remember. The little things. What makes that picture of him so special is that it captures the little things. It captures him in an everyday moment and his day-to-day self. Not necessarily the one on 'big' days like holidays, his birthday, etc. It's the closest thing I have to having and being reminded of the most essential parts of what made him who he was.

Lately I've been more aware of how the most minute moments, conversations, happenings really can mean so much and have a huge effect/impact. That fact is both incredible and terrifying to realize. I really want to do the best I can to remember and appreciate every little detail I can on what I experience and who I experience with, especially now, with being in this department and being with these people. I know these four years are going to be four that forever change and affect my life, where I'm going, and who I am/become. I wouldn't want it either way.

Current things to never forget: my Grease team, both cast and crew. The Christmas Cabaret. Finals. Adventures with Luke. Hattie. Laura. Directing. Le Dortoir. Boston. Raunch. My internship. Halloween. Fifthmas. My mother. My grandmother.

This life is so precious and I am so honored to be an active entity.

No comments:

Post a Comment