Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A fresh start. And a good one.

And so the spring semester has begun and so far so good. I have only completely my second day of the new semester, but so far I have a good feeling about the next couple of months. There was an amazing energy on campus with everyone returning. I reunited with all my Theatre friends like we were never separated in the first place.

We all met up for lunch in the Student Union and ate up in the Kitchenette on the third floor, randomly. It was fun, though. We ended up relocating to the long booths by Outtakes. Everyone left for lab though so I hung out with Jordan for a bit. A little while later everyone came over to my dorm for dinner. We had rotisery (sp?) chicken and mashed potatoes from Kroger which were beyond delicious. Applied for housing, as well, and played Apples to Apples. It was a very enjoyable first day back.

I mention these seeming insignificant happenings because because of them I felt happy yesterday. I have been trapped in my own little bubble and world for the past three weeks, which makes me self-destruct a bit. It feels good to be around people again and to be jumping back into doing all the things I love.

Other than reuniting with my friends, the classes even seem like they are going to be interesting and relatively fun for the rest of the semester, so I look forward to them. My jazz appreciation class has the potential to be incredibly awesome and relatively challenging at the same time, but for now I think it will be a good challenge. Chris McCandless lookalike is in my class, which is amusing to me, as well, as a young child. No way he is older than 13. I find that intriguing. The professor has a fascinating mind and intellect and way of looking at things. I feel like I am going to like him as a teacher. And of course all my film classes will be wonderful, if not just by the fact that they require me to watch films. Kristin's class definitely has the potential to be very fun. I think I like the vast majority of the people in there which is relieving. I think makeup will be the most boring, but the professor has a very captivating personality.

I had lunch with Allie today. I enjoyed catching up with her. It should be fun having a class together. I also showed a guy to Griffin Hall today. We had a pleasantly casual conversation on the way. I was surprised with how comfortably I spoke with a stranger. Normally, I get nervous and never know what to say. I don't know, it was one of those brief moments where I felt like an adult. Just in the sense of being collected and able to relate with a perfect stranger. It's difficult to explain. I didn't really feel like myself today. But in a good way. I guess, really I just didn't feel like how I've felt for the past couple weeks. Which is definitely a good thing.

I don't know what it is about the environment here or in college in general, but it makes me feel like such a happier, evolved person. More prepared, independent. All around I just feel more comfortable as a person here. It's a good feeling. I think I've hit and possibly surpassed an appropriate quota for using the word "good" in a post. This is ridiculous.

In other news, I think I have found another possible stage management opportunity with a community theatre. I like when I feel like some of the "pieces" are coming together for me.

I don't normally post about stuff like this, but I figured that maybe I should post about stuff like this more. I mean, for one, just to document some of the day to day stuff that goes on with me. To be able to look back and remember this day, as a good day. It doesn't have to be especially happy or especially sad, sometimes just a simple, good memory is enough. I need to remind my self of good, normal days. To appreciate every day for what it is and for what it can bring to my life and to my perspective.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Oh how wrong I was about my jazz professor. Can't stand the man. I guess my first impressions can't always be right.

    ReplyDelete